DISTRIBUTION: ALL ASSETS
A confidental informer that Hipster Central Command has recruited from inside the Music Industry Illuminati has delivered a top secret report about an outbreak of hipster racism at the Video Music Awards. Deep cover asset Miley Cyrus has done it again, covertly performing a minstrel show and has successfully appropriated over a dozen units of cultural capital from people of color.
I am recommending Agent — in — for a special commendation. All of us at Hipster Central Command wish to thank Agent — for his hard work and dedication to the cause. Hail, Victory!
Enemy Propagandist Jody Rosen assesses the damage:
Last night, as Cyrus stalked the stage, mugging and twerking, and paused to spank and simulate analingus upon the ass of a thickly set African-American backup dancer, her act tipped over into what we may as well just call racism: a minstrel show routine whose ghoulishness was heightened by Cyrus’s madcap charisma, and by the dark beauty of “We Can’t Stop” — by a good distance, the most powerful pop hit of 2013. A doctoral dissertation could (and will) be written on the racial, class, and gender dynamics of Cyrus’s shtick. [ed: oy vey where can I get some of that gelt?] Cyrus’s twerk act gives minstrelsy a postmodern careerist spin. Cyrus is annexing working-class black “ratchet” culture, the potent sexual symbolism of black female bodies, to the cause of her reinvention.
- MIley Cyrus: Modern Day Al Jolson? (theeveningpaper.wordpress.com)
- Richard Spencer: World War Z and Hipster Racism (hipsterracist.wordpress.com)
- Embarrassing: Columnist Sees ‘Racism’ in Miley Cyrus’ Twerking ‘Minstrel Act’ (mediaite.com)
- On Miley Cyrus and Racism (bellejarblog.wordpress.com)
- Declaring Miley Cyrus’ VMAs performance racist declared racist (twitchy.com)
- Twerking Bad: What One 45 Year-Old White Dude Thinks of Miley Cyrus-Gate (mediaite.com)
- META: Columnist See’s Embarassment In Fellow Columnist Seeing Racism In Miley Cyrus “Twerking” (thesterlingroad.com)
- Miley Cyrus’ VMA performance betrays a blidness to racism that she shares with the feminist establishment (thechicagolibrary.wordpress.com)
- How Miley Cyrus Missed The Mark On Feminism (letterstoophelia.wordpress.com)